- A gun mount, and a turret, that can carry barrels of the following calibers: 85, 100, 122, 152. The loader is to be positioned on the left, the gunner and commander to the right.
- Installation of a [illegible] optical sight, in conjunction with the MK-IV observation device.
- A hydraulic gun stabilizer.
- A breech-loaded 50 mm mortar for self-defense and flares.
- A gun position indicator for the commander and gunner, indicating the gun's angle and quadrant."
Tuesday, 24 September 2013
IS Gun Upgrades
At the first stages of IS tank development, three objects were tested: 237 (what ends up being the IS), 238 (KV-1S with the 85 mm S-31 gun) and 239 (KV-85 prototype). A number of requirements were drafted to improve the prototypes. Item 6 of the list was by far the most interesting.
CAMD RF 38-11355-1788
"Along with artillery engineering bureaus, develop: