On the Kirov factory on May 9th, 1941
- After examination of 27 KV-4 projects proposed to SKB-2, presenting a series of solutions for development of new war machines, I remark on several projects focusing on increasing the firepower of the tank, and the project that uses components from currently produced vehicles, considering the manufacturing possibilities of the factory and its economics.
- The KV-4 project that uses predominately KV-3 components is approved.
- The following engineers contributed useful and original ideas, and are rewarded as follows:
- Buganov: 1000 rubles
- Duhov: 5000 rubles
- Ermolayev: 2000 rubles
- Kalivoda: 500 rubles
- Pereverzev: 500 rubles
- Kuzmin, Mitskevich, Tarotko: 3000 rubles
- Moskvin: 1000 rubles
- Tseits: 2000 rubles
- Sashmurin: 1500 rubles
- Bychkov: 500 rubles
- Issue 3100 rubles to the Chief Engineer of the 1st department, comrade Kotin, for payment of engineers working on the KV-4 project and subsequent payment of the engineers working on the KV-5 project
The project that was considered the winner was, for some reason, Shashmurin's project (at least according to his memoirs), which resembled a KV-1 with a 107 mm gun in the hull.