"Conclusions on the T-70 tank's armour, developed at the Gorkiy Molotov Automotive Factory
The T-70 has the following main armour components:
- Upper front plate: 35 mm at 60 degrees
- Lower front plate: 45 mm at 30 degrees
- Sides: 15 mm at 0 degrees
- Rear: 25 mm at 45 degrees
- Front floor: 15 mm at 75 degrees
- Upper rear plate: 15 mm at 75 degrees
- Turret (cast): 45 mm at 30-45 degrees
- Gun mantlet (cast): 50 mm at 0 degrees
- Turret and hull roof: 10 mm at 90 degrees
- Floor: 6 mm at 90 degrees
- The sides must be at least 25 mm thick.
- If the vehicle is overloaded, the thickness of the UFP can be reduced to 30 mm, but this is highly undesirable.
- It is necessary to remove the discrepancy in robustness of the turret at various angles of tilt, which can easily be done with a cast turret with a thicker lower part.
- The robustness of the driver's hatch hinge is insufficient due to a small surface area that is welded. If a shell hits it, it can fall off.
- The protection of the turret observation device from bullets is insufficient, as bullets will deflect from the armour and strike the observation device with lead drops and fragments.
- It is desirable to change the coolant grille, as its current design is vulnerable to grenades and incendiary fluid.