"Conclusions on the 85 mm KV tank project
The blueprints of an 85 mm gun provided by factory #92 include only general blueprints of the gun and a specification of the parts that are different from the ZiS-5.
Advantages of this project include:
- Mass producing this gun will cause no problems, as many parts are the same as the ZiS-5.
- The muzzle velocity is increased by 72 m/s compared to the ZiS-5, and the mass of the shell is increased by 3 kg, increasing the penetration by 30 mm at a range of 1000 meters.
- There is already ammunition being produced for this gun.
- The factory documents lack any kind of data on the rate of fire or ammunition capacity. Since the one piece shell of the AA gun is 985 mm long, or 336 mm longer than the ZiS-5 shell, it can be assumed that the practical rate of fire of the gun will be 1-2 rounds per minute. The shell length will not only negatively impact the rate of fire, but will reduce the amount of ammunition carried below acceptable levels.
- Tank units will have a new type of shell, which will cause difficulty with supplies.