- Udalov, Vasiliy Aleksandrovich
- Rank: Guards Senior Lieutenant
- Position, unit: IS-2 platoon commander, 71st Independent Guards Heavy Tank Regiment
is nominated for the title of Hero of the Soviet Union.
- Year of birth: 1918
- Nationality: Russian
- Party affiliation: VLKSM member
- Participation in the civil war, subsequent action in defense of the USSR, and Patriotic War: since June 27th, 1941
- Wounds or concussions in the Patriotic War: none.
- In the Red Army since: 1937
- Recruited by: Intevsk recruitment office, Tambov oblast
- Prior awards: Order of the Patriotic War, 1st class.
Brief and specific description of heroism in battle or achievements: in battles approaching the Vistula river, the IS tank platoon commanded by Guards Senior Lieutenant Udalov allowed our forces to continue towards Vistula. He was the first in his regiment to cross the Vistula and form an ambush next to a road near Strzelce to prevent an enemy counterattack from crossing the river. Between August 11th and 13th, the enemy attempted to attack several times with newly arrived heavy tanks in the direction of Staszów. Comrade Udalov did not allow the enemy to reach Staszów, and entered battle with 27 enemy tanks on August 13th, 1944 from an ambush. As a result of a fierce tank battle and maneuvering from his ambush, Udalov's platoon deflected the enemy attack and Udalov himself destroyed 3 of the enemy Tiger B tanks. Udalov's tank travelled 955 km by then, working for 205 engine-hours compared to the warranty period of 150 engine-hours, but due to careful and skilful maintenance, Udalov's tanks are in full working order.
For crossing the Vistula and holding the foothold on the west shore, he is worthy of the title of Hero of the Soviet Union."
CAMD RF 33-793756-49