- Name: Svyashenko, Yuri Grigoryevich
- Rank: Guards Lieutenant
- Position, rank: tank platoon commander, 3rd tank battalion, 1st Guards Chertkov Order of Lenin, Order of the Red Banner, Order of Suvorov, Order of Bogdan Khmelnitskiy Tank Brigade
is nominated for the title of Hero of the Soviet Union.
- Year of birth: 1920
- Nationality: Ukrainian
- Party affiliation: none
- Participation in the Patriotic War: since 1941
- In the Red Army since: 1939
- Prior awards: Order of the Red Banner in 1944, Order of the Patriotic War 2nd class in 1944, For Courage medal in 1941, For Combat Performance medal in 1941
- Wounds or concussions in the Patriotic War: killed on January 20th, 1945
Bypassing the enemy's resistance and destroying defending garrisons, crushing communications and important centers of resistance, Guards Lieutenant Svyashenko performed a 340 kilometer raid behind enemy lines, capturing the cities of Aleksandruv, Kshevenitsa, Nove Myasto, and reached Uneiuv by January 18th, 1945. With a sudden attack, he captured the crossing across Varta and held it until the approach of main forces, dying the death of a hero on the crossing.
The enemy, seeing his hopeless situation, rushed to destroy the crossing and hold off the attack of our forces, leaving behind a screen of 6 SPGs, two artillery batteries, and up to a battalion of infantry. Comrade Svyashenko's tank took on this uneven battle with superior enemy forces, drawing fire. In a fierce battle, the tank destroyed four SPGs, crushed a battery of 3 guns, and killed up to 35 soldiers and officers. The crossing across the Varta was captured, providing unimpeded access for the 8th Corps and a successful completion of the 1st Guards Tank Army's offensive operation.
For enormous damage dealt to the enemy, capturing the crossing, and the cities of Aleksandruv, Kshevenitse, and Nove Myasto, Guards Lieutenant Svyashenko is worthy of the posthumous title of Hero of the Soviet Union."
CAMD RF 33-793756-42