- Name: Khomenko, Ignat Stepanovich
- Rank: Senior Sergeant
- Position, unit: SU-122 mechanic-driver, 1817th SPG Regiment
is nominated for the title of Hero of the Soviet Union.
- Year of birth: 1914
- Nationality: Ukrainian
- Party affiliation: VKP(b) candidate
- Participation in the Civil War and in subsequent action in defense of the USSR, Patriotic War (where, when): in the Patriotic War since August 1943
- Wounds and concussions in the Patriotic War: deceased
- In the Red Army since: 1941
- Recruited by: Komsomolsk recruitment office, Komsomolsk-on-Amur
- Prior awards: Order of the Red Star
Brief and specific description of personal heroism or achievements: A master of driving tanks and SPGs, Senior Sergeant I.S. Khomenko showed fearlessness, courage, bravery, heroism, and patriotism for his socialist Motherland and his people in battle for Gerasimovka and Russkaya Polyana.
On the night of November 16th to November 17th, he burst into the positions of fascists from SS Viking. division carrying infantry riders. With fire and tracks, he remorselessly destroyed any fascists that did not escape.
On the night of November 20th, 1943, he moved out at a breakneck pace and was the first to reach the Cherkassy railroad station with his submachinegunner riders at 8:00. In 20-25 minutes, the tracks of his menacing fighting machine were already on Cherkassy streets, remorselessly crushing fascists and their weapons.
An enemy shell tore off his right hand. Comrade Khomenko overcame his pain and refused to let go of his levers. With the last of his strength, using only his left hand, he drove on, crushing enemy vehicles and weapons. Without letting go of his controls, he met the death of brave men on the streets of Cherkassy.
His heroic deeds in the name of his Motherland make him worthy of the title of Hero of the Soviet Union."
CAMD RF 33-793756-51