Scientific Research AA Proving Grounds of the GAU
Report on experiment #982
Subject of the experiment: proving grounds trials of the BL-39 203 mm corps howitzer designed by factory #172.
Goal of the trials:
- Testing the ballistic characteristics of the system.
- Determining the range, precision, and angle of deviation.
- Determining the combat, service, and usage characteristics of the system.
- Comparison of the the required and actual tactical-technical characteristics.
- Determining the convenience of disassembly and assembly of the system and limber with typical instruments.
- It is very heavy (even for corps artillery).
- The recoil brake design is unsatisfactory and broke down during use.
- The elevation mechanism parts are insufficiently robust.
- The suspension is complicated and the off-road performance is low.
- The suspension design is unsatisfactory, which leads to great effort being expended on transforming the system from travel mode to combat mode and back, as well as fortifying the system on a given position."