comrade V.I. Molotov
In accordance with State Committee of Defense decrees ##1878ss and 1879ss issued on June 5th, 1942, the Kirov factory and factory #183 completed trials of improved KV-1 and T-34 tanks.
As a result of production and trials of prototypes, the following data was obtained:
KV-1 tank (Kirov factory):
- The weight of the tank was reduced to 42.5 tons.
- The engine cooling system was improved.
- A new 8-speed gearbox was produced and tested successfully.
- A new turret with a commander's cupola was produced.
- New 5-speed gearbox.
- Turret with a commander's cupola.
- Reinforced idler with a new adjustment mechanism.
- Perform additional work on the T-34 turret and idler.
- Put the new 5-speed gearbox into production at the Kirov factory and UVZ (newly organized production line).
- Announce a decree on September 15th to:
- Put the 5-speed gearbox into production at all factories currently producing T-34 tanks.
- Put the turret with a commander's cupola into production at all factories currently producing T-34 tanks.