"How to combat a sudden attack by the enemy on the march
How to combat a sudden attack by motorized or mechanized means
Modern armies have a large amount of armoured cars, tankettes, and tanks. Entire regiments and divisions are made up of these vehicles and infantry mounted on trucks.
The main force of these motorized and mechanized units is the speed of movement and the armour that protects them from rifles and machineguns. Weaknesses of armoured cars, tankettes, and tanks include poor visibility and vulnerability to artillery shells, bombs, mines, or even hand grenades. A truck is vulnerable to ordinary rifle bullets.
Machinegun fire from a tank, tankette, or armoured car is not very effective at ranges over 400 meters, is inferior in firepower to a regular machinegun at ranges closer than 400 meters, and cannot fire at targets within 20 meters (dead zone). A tank, tankette, or armoured car can do the most damage to fleeing infantry. Knowing this, every Red Armyman must remember this on the march:
- Armoured cars, tankettes, and tanks are only dangerous against people prone to panic. A resilient infantry unit will always repel an enemy armored attack.
- Armoued cars, tankettes, and tanks drive at a speed of up to 30 kph. You cannot run away from them, even on a horse.
- When tankettes, tanks, and armoured cars appear, our artillery and machineguns will open fire with armour piercing munitions.
- Know the characteristics of tanks, their weak and strong sides, understand how they work.
- As soon as the tank attack weakens the enemy, rush forward through openings in the barbed wire and destroy enemy strongholds that were suppressed by the tank's movement or fire.
- Never return or stop, but continue the attack, even if the tanks drive to the side or back to the rear. They must often do this in order to deal with a revived enemy stronghold somewhere in the rear or on the flank, move around an obstacle, or restore communication with other tanks.
- Help tanks by showing them obstacles or anti-tank guns that were discovered, and help destroy those anti-tank guns.
- Help bogged down tanks by protecting them from enemy counterattacks.
- Help tanks cross trenches and ditches, clearing the inclines with your shovel.