The main drawbacks of the T-43 include:
- The turret ring diameter is 1420 mm, which is not enough for the crew.
- The visibility on the T-43 tank is not improved compared to the T-34. The T-43 will use a cupola that was developed for the T-34 and rejected by the BTU.
- The ammunition capacity consists of:
- 85 76 mm shells
- 28 DT disk magazines (1764 rounds)
which is grossly insufficient.
- In the prototype, it is not possible to remove the torsion bars without removing road wheels, which makes the suspension harder to service.
- As with the production tank, the artillery system is mounted from the inside of the turret, which makes installation and removal of the artillery system difficult.